• Home /
  • Latest News / The City and County Council: - Who is responsible for what and how much do they get

The City and County Council: - Who is responsible for what and how much do they get

What your council tax pays for

Council tax is a property-based tax which is payable on most domestic properties. A domestic property is usually a house or a flat, but it also means other types of property where people can live, such as a houseboat or a caravan.

The council tax you pay is divided between the county council, the police and fire authorities, and the city council.

This table shows how the money is divided, as an amount and as a percentage of the total.


How council tax is split among authorities, based on a Band D property


Amount Percentage

County council

£1,144.26 73.04%

Police and Crime Commissioner

£181.35 11.58%

City council

£176.75 11.28%

Fire authority

£64.26 4.10%


£1,566.62 100%












Figures quoted above are based on a council tax payment of £1,566.62 for a Band D property in 2015/16.

Amounts are proportionally smaller for bands A to C and larger for bands E to H.

For a detailed breakdown of spending on Cambridge City Council services in 2015/16 download our leaflet: 2015/16 guide to council tax [PDF, 2.4MB].

City council expenditure

Our budget for 2015/16 requires £25.6 million.

The £7.1 million we receive from council tax contributes towards this, and the remaining amount (£18.5 million) is made up from government grants and contributions from reserves. The total is then divided among a number of services.

The table below shows the amount given to each service along with monies received from the government and other budgetary adjustments.



Business rates (net of tariff payable to central government)


Government funding - non-ringfenced grants


Movements in reserves


Amount raised from council tax










Central services to the public


Cultural and related services


Environmental and regulatory services


Planning and development services


Transport planning, policy and strategy and parking services


Housing services (excluding housing revenue account)


Corporate and democratic core


Commercial property and other trading


Capital accounting adjustments




Revenue funding of capital


Pension deficit costs


Adjustment to previous year's business rates collection


Net expenditure




Do you like this post?


Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.

The Labour Party will place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better.

Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site.

To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice. Use of this site confirms your acceptance of these cookies.